A Swiss engineered minimalistic hardware wallet designed for securing your cryptocurrency.
What is BitBox?
- Cross-platform UI and open API’s
- Touch button and backlit LED for user confirmation
- Micro SD slot for offline & anytime backup or recovery
- Encrypted USB communication (AES-256-CBS)
- Plug and Play
- Two-factor authentication (2FA) option
- Single purpose microcontroller
- Tamper-resistant high-security chip for storing secrets + Hardware random number generator to create private keys
What coins and functions are supported by BitBox?
Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH, ETC, and ERC20 tokens), and Litecoin (LTC) cryptocurrencies are currently supported. We plan to add more coins in the future. Let us know your favorites!
The BitBox is a FIDO Universal 2nd Factor (U2F) compatible authenticator. Secure your accounts on Google, Facebook, Dropbox, GitHub and more.
Existing BitBoxes can add support for new coins and features by upgrading the firmware.
What are the unique advantages of BitBox?
- Offline, anytime backup and recovery with a micro SD card.
- Native software client avoids security risks of browser-based clients.
- Plausible deniability with hidden wallets and backups.
- Tor and Tails OS compatible to protect your privacy.
- Private keys kept on a high-security chip that prevents physical extraction (50 year lifespan).
- Portable, extremely durable case filled with epoxy and packed with security.
- Subtle design avoids unwanted attention.
- Multisig out-of-the-box (optional to use).
- Smart verification and second-factor authentication mobile app (optional to use).
- Fully open source.
- Swiss ideals - quality, privacy, no backdoors.
Do my private keys ever touch my computer or the internet?
Not even during the initial setup or backup. The onboard microcontroller generates a wallet (BIP32) using a high-quality hardware random number generator to create entropy.
The onboard slot for a micro SD card allows offline backup and recovery. There is no need to expose your wallet while typing on a keyboard or displaying recovery information on a screen, leaving it susceptible to theft by key logging, screen captures, and cameras.
Unlike other hardware wallets, you can backup your wallet at anytime and as often as you like. Switch between different wallets in a snap.
External entropy is added to the hardware random number generator in two ways. First, in order to remove the need to trust the hardware, some entropy is added by us through random bytes set during the factory installation. In order to remove the need to trust us, some more is automatically gathered from you when entering your device password. If that's not enough, load up your own keys either via the micro SD slot or the USB interface.
Three ways to create or load a wallet:
- Micro SD
More Specifications and Features
- Single-purpose microcontroller that connects to a computer as a plug-and-play USB device. No drivers required.
- The minimalist design keeps the code as simple as possible, making audits easier and reducing the number of attack vectors.
- AES-256-CBC encrypted communication over USB that is immune to glitching and timing attacks.
- Two-factor authentication option to prevent man-in-the-middle (MITM) attacks.
- Erase and reset after 15 failed attempts, eliminating brute force password attacks. If a reset happens by accident, the wallet can be recovered simply by reloading the wallet seed from the micro SD card.
- Capacitive touch button confirmation. Touch briefly to 'reject', and touch longer to 'accept'.
- Embedded LED status indicator.
- Password protected.